Monday, April 11, 2016

Week 16 Letter from Sorella Hills


Re: Week 16!!

To: marci hills

Ciao famiglia! 

Man! I'm so sad I am missing such great moments as that pine tree coming down, and All State! 

How did you get involved with this investigator? Haha, yeah, we actually, at the first lesson, we are supposed to invite people to baptism.  At first, I didn't get it, but it just sets the tone for the rest of the lessons, because they know what they are working towards.  There is a Anziano in our district that starts off with it. He says something like "at the end of this lesson, I'm going to ask you to baptized", and then sort of explains it, and the whole lesson, they think about it.  

As for clothes, those were mine, I had bought them the day before, that's what I spent so much money on, shopping! I got a skirt, a couple tshirts, and some tights.  It was great! My clothes are doing ok, and so are my shoes surprisingly.  No real problems yet.  But I got bored with my clothes, and it was P.day, so I got some new ones!

As for money, we have a card.  This card gets money put on each month, about 200€. The money rolls over each month. It is used for travel, which is reimbursable, and food, which is not.  The rest is on personal funds.  But to be honest, I don't buy much, so I'm racking in the dough here! 

Mom. Please only ever send stuff to the mission office.  I will get it eventually, I'm not worried if it will be late.  If you send it here, and I get transferred, which will probably be with transfer or the next, then I will never get the package or mail.  Just send it to the mission home, and I will get it as soon as possible. 

Advice to Jack in preparing for his mission.  Do not be ignorant.  There are a lot of Anziani out here who are fresh out of high school, and they are so... YOUNG. They are hard to deal with.  Don't be loud, don't be stupid, just be a normal person, and people will like you more. And if you go foreign speaking, speak the language outside as much as possible.  The locals appreciate it when they can understand you. But more than that, always speak the language at church.  No one likes it when a group of people are talking in a language they can not understand and they immediately think you are talking about them. Offer to help people on the street.  Things like groceries, lifting things, that sort of stuff.  Talk to everyone, no matter how they look.  Work off of similarities instead of differences in lessons.  If you can't speak, smile, and learn how to bare your testimony.  The spirit works without words and it flows through truth.  Love your trainer no matter what they do.  They want the best for you.  That's a good start!  If you have specific questions, let me know! 

This week was long.  We had a lot of weird days.  We did do a cool trip to Vittoria on Saturday.  This less active, well, inactive, member invited us over for pranzo, so we of course we're like, yes! Then, she invited her friends to come and listen to the lesson! It seemed so cool...  We got there and and the people did not speak Italian. Oh, they are Italians, but they are Siciliano. Like, they only speak dialect.  Oh boy.  Then, I tried to bear my testimony, and the words did not come out right. The member turned to her friend, and was like, "Italian is obviously still coming". I was devastated.  I can understand Italian, but I am still having a really hard time speaking it.  It was hard.  I cried a lot. It was kind of a big pile that all at once collapsed.  But, life goes on... I'll get it at some point, it is just hard right now, as it should be! 

That was più meno my week.  Not bad, but not good. Hope is strong though! This week should be amazing! Can't wait to hear back from you all! Love you tons, keep me posted on Jack's mission and also Fernando's! 

Sorella Hills































No comments:

Post a Comment