Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Week 29 Letter from Sorella Hills

Buenos dias! 

I got new luggage for €140. And, they have the 4 turning wheels! So excited! 

I am going to Cagliari! I never thought that I would go to Sardegna, since most people get trapped in the "Rome Shuffle", meaning that you get transferred from one area to the next within the Rome city.  I thought that I would be in Ostia for at least one more, but the Lord has other plans.... It's just crazy because so few people get to serve in Sardegna! I'm so lucky to have served in both Sicilia and Sardegna. SO lucky! 

Here are the details for the week! 

1. Our teenage investigator has a baptism date! It's so crazy.  My companion had a "faccia a faccia", or heart to heart with her last Sunday, and she really came around.  She started progressing like mad.  She wants to get baptized on the 18th of August! I'm sad that I'll miss it, but I am excited for her. 

2. We go to see this new convert about once a week.  She is 14. Well, her family is all from Columbia, so they speak Spanish. In one house, there is the grandmother, the mom and her brother and sister, and then this new convert.  The grandmother and the aunt and uncle are not members, and they are mean.  Like really secret and sneaky mean.  They speak "Italian", but it is really 70% Spanish with a couple mama mia's thrown in. And then they get mad at you for not understanding what they are saying to you.  They are all against the church, and they say mean things to the 14 year old and her mom.  It's to the point that the 14 year old won't come out of her room...not even to eat.  If her mom doesn't bring her food, she won't eat.  It's bad. Well, we were there, and this blow up starts.  I can only get like half of it because at this point, it is all in Spanish, but the grandmother comes out, and makes some comment about how we believe in talking to dead people. And then it sort of snowballs.  Something about Satan being our brother, and how that was against the bible.  Well, my companion and I look at each other, and I said something about how I can't understand anything, in English, and the grandmother blows up! Yelling about how she can speak what ever she wants in her house. And then it turns back into an attack on the church for sending missionaries who can't understand anything.  ALL OF THIS WAS IN PROPRIO SPANISH!!! The fact that I could understand anything was crazy! Ugh.  I am so glad I NEVER have to go back to that house.  Being on a mission has made it easier to recognize the spirit.  One cannot feel it there.  It's just so dark and hateful.  And I can't fix it! 

3. Saturday we got our transfer calls.  I answered first, and got my call to Cagliari! Then, my companion. Place your bets! She is going to Cagliari too!!! She will be part of a blow in, which means that the last transfer, there was only one set of sisters, and now there are two.  Yes, we are not companions.  I will be with the Sister Training Leader, and my companion with be with another sister.  This is the fun part! My new companion was trained by the same trainer I had! So, she is like my "sister".  She is 2 transfers younger than us, so we are what is called a follow up trainer, of the companion after the trainer that sort of introduces the greenie to real life outside training.  It will be so much fun! 

4.  We did our last "mostra" on Sunday. This thing is so creepy! Well, it's so Tj/Testimoni di Jehovah/Jehovahs Witness.  And funny story, the Anziani had tried to do it Saturday, and the tjs set up right next to them! So awkward... But this thing is just bad.  Especially this one page.  It has a floating baby head, a guy that is crying, and a casket.  It's bad.
But what can you do.  

This is... Half the district. The Ostia crew consists of a missionary from Utah, one from California, our ward mission leader, me, and my companion from Idaho.  There is also another city that is part of our district, with 2 more Sorelle and 2 more Anziani.  

That's the week! 

Now for comments! 
Buon compleanno a te, buon compleanno a te, buon compleanno a John Hills, buon compleanno a te! I can't believe I missed it, but it sounds like a blast. I mean, whoopie pies, are you kidding me?!? 

Trek! It's here! I remember my trek, it was... Interesting :) So hot the first day, rain the second, and everything soaked and being exhausted the third. It was so much fun though.  It got to the point that we where racing the schedule, because we could.  Would could walk fast, so we did.  Counting wheel turns when you got bored.  My advice is to honesty just have fun. Embrace the fact that it is weird, and bond with the rest of the people in your company. Be good friends with the guys, and the girls.  It will be fun.  

Oh my gosh, I forgot to tell you that our teenage investigator LOVES Ariana Grande, like, she is her role model.  She wants to be famous... I hate Ariana Grande! Her music isn't even that good! 

Ok, q and a
In general, people are obsessed with America.  Everyone thinks of it as this place that has it all together.  But they, like me, are just having a riot over this election.  They all think Trump and Clinton are the worst.  They think Americans are so stupid, and that our time is pretty much up.  But, they all still want to move there! 

The heat is not that bad this week.  The week before was awful.  But, we have found a new tactic, demonstrated by many old ladies on busses.  Fans.  Like the ones from Victorian England/China.  They work SO well! At lead for drying the sweat off your face.  And, shirts that you can't tell that your underarms are swimming.  If no one can tell, you aren't in fact sweating. Works like a charm. 

As for choir, we did one practice this Sunday, and... now, my companion and I are leaving, so...

Is there any more rain forecast? Has the limited what thing ever happened? Is NH turning into California? Why haven't you gone to the beach, Jack could take you!? Will you at least let Jack get a nice hair cut? Like one that you pay money for? And I want to see that classy missionary book!!! 

Love you all,
Sorella Hills



No comments:

Post a Comment