Thursday, January 21, 2016

Week 5 Letter from Sorella Hills

I am going to start off with, no, I do not have my flight plans!!!!!!!!!!   I am getting so frustrated!!!!!!! But I guess no news is good news.... I am starting to get upset.  But none of the Italians have them, so it'll come soon.  

This week was quite a week.  My companion had her birthday on Friday, so we all got her some presents.  She is 21 now!  It was the funniest!  So I ended up getting her a bag of Doritos and a scripture reference thing, where it has like any topic you could ever have to give a lesson on and scriptures that go with it. Some of the others got creative.  Like pepto bismal, a t-shirt that says "Mormon, know it live it love it" (if you knew her, you would realize that this was kind of a sarcastic t-shirt for her), and a bag of supper hot Cheetos.  The cards though... I got her one that says "Hey there peanut, you've got an amazing life ahead, congratulations", in reference to her peanut, a Romanian orphan she just loved.  Another sister got one that is like a love poem that you would sent a long time boy friend.  Another got one that was a poem to a grandma.  And one somehow found one that had bada*** in it. Only not * out.  Remember that these were purchased in the MTC book store. But they were all a reference to something.  One was because we all love her, one was the fact that she is the eldest of our district, and one was to the fact that she is her own person, and that she would get a kick out of the fact that we could find such an inappropriate card in the book store.  

On a more spiritual note, we had so many devotionals this week.  Sunday, Tuesday, and yesterday we had the chance to hear a world wide broadcast to all the missionaries.  It was amazing!!! Oh, back off the spiritual line, our district hosted the international missionaries that came in early yesterday.  I had a sister who was from South Korea, and was going to Germany!  This was her first time in the states, and she had so much stuff to do before she was ready for orientation and such.  Like, she forgot shampoo and conditioner, and needed clothes that would be fit for the cold.  But most importantly was the TB test, which is sort of the point of the story.  We were able to do the skin test here, but we had to go to the BYU health clinic to get a chest x ray.  We had a shuttle over, but we decided to walk back, because the day was pretty warm and sunny.  But as soon as we go outside, it was actually like a blizzard.  Honestly, a downpour of snow.  But we had already told the front desk that we didn't need the shuttle, so we trudged back.  This was the first time she had been in snow, so I felt so bad.  We ended up walking backwards because the snow was so bad!  I was like, "welcome to the MTC! You are going to love it!".  I don't think she was impressed... She must have been so overwhelmed!  She spoke so little English, though she was good at using the English she did know to convey more complex subject matter. But now she had to learn German through English. That would be so hard!  Any way, so we watched a delayed session, and it was amazing!!!

I honestly started crying about Ann! I hope she can find peace, and I know the gospel is a sure place that she can find lasting peace.  Don't give up on her.  Part of the broadcast was about how to find new investigators through members.  Which the number of baptisms is SIGNIFICANTLY larger for investigators with a member friend.  But one of the questions that we are supposed to ask members is if they know anyone who has recently had a baby, who would benefit from our message. So I was going to bring it up, when I got your letter!  I was crying in the lunchroom reading it.  I know that this gospel can give us what we need.

As for trek, I loved so much.  But mostly that it was an adventure.  It was something that would look like a disaster if you looked at it in any other way.  But because I personally was able to accept the trials and look at it as an adventure that was going to be hard, it was a great time.  So, my advice would be to make sure it is an adventure.  Not just a spiritual one, which we can sometimes get too wrapped up in trying to make it spiritual.  But instead make it a physical adventure, and the spiritual one will naturally fallow.  Make it hard. It will be great :)

Vi voglio bene!

Sorella Hills    

No comments:

Post a Comment